Even when you’ve learned how to perfectly grow grass, you still need to protect your seeds from the birds! And even if you’ve mastered how to keep the birds from eating your seeds, you still need to water it. And, if it’s your first time growing a lawn properly, you might not have a sprinkler system. So, knowing the Best Way to Water Lawn Without Sprinkler System is essential!
What is the Best Way to Water Lawn Without Sprinkler System, you ask? Well, that’s what we are going to talk about today. Best Lawn Sprinklers brings to you an article about it where we are going to discuss several such methods. We are also going to look at the main features of every method and why you might(not?) want to use it!
So, we really recommend that you read this article till the very end. Let us get started now without any further delay!
What you need to know before we get to discussing the main thing.
Before we get to discussing the best ways that you might adopt, there is something you need to know. You need to understand that there are several things you need to keep in mind in order to understand which system is the best for you. The main things you might want to keep in mind, however, are as follows:
- Know the soil type: Knowing the soil type is one of the most important things you have to do. The amount of water you need determines the kind of system that would be ideal for you, and so you need to soil type. You might figure out the ideal amount of water you should use from this article of ours. So, different types of soils need different amounts of water. Naturally, if you’re trying to grow grass in a desert, it’s going to need a lot more water than elsewhere. So, please take the soil type into consideration.
- Know the type of grass you have: You need to know what’s your grass type. Specific varieties of grass need specific amounts of water. Naturally, you need to know which one you have in order to know how much water to use. And since the proper way of distributing the water depends on the amount of water, you need to know your grass type. Honestly, it’s also important to know your grass type to keep your garden healthy.
- Mowing your lawn on schedule: Mowing your lawn on schedule is yet another important thing. Not only do longer grasses make it harder to water, they also make it harder for the water to reach the ground. This must be avoided in order to conserve water, as well as to water the area evenly. So, try your best to mow the lawn on schedule to avoid an adverse scenario. Quoting AGreenHand,
Without an installed automatic sprinkler system or a traveling sprinkler, it can be frustrating and hard to schedule and control water distribution for your lawn. But before you go all out with watering, make sure your grass is ready to receive its supply of water. Do this by mowing your lawn until it is only about 2 inches tall.
Mowing in this height leaves the young grass in place. Grass clippings also play a key role in the soil’s capability to retain moisture (this can be accomplished by combing with a sweeper). They block too much heat from penetrating the soil and lessening evaporation. With a moist soil, the need for more water is reduced and hence, make watering more easily.
Best Way to Water Lawn Without Sprinkler System? Here are a few!
There are, naturally, a lot of different ways, as you can tell. So, these ways are not all suitable for the same place, and you have to choose the one that’s the best for you. This can only be done by properly studying your scenario and then judging each way according to it. So, it is really recommended that you do your research properly before you settle on a specific way.
Anyway, so, there are a lot of ways out there, in fact, more ways than one can mention. However, here are the chief ones you might actually want to take a look at (and consider):
1. Sticking to the conventional way!
Sticking to the conventional way of doing it manually is what most of the people opt for. It is one of the most tested methods of all time. It causes minimum problems because you can pay close personal attention to every detail when you’re actually using this method. This method can be divided into several types in itself, such as:
- Going for a watering can and doing it manually by filling up the watering can every time it runs out. This method is actually alright for a small garden. After a certain size, it pretty much becomes impossible to use this labor-intensive method.
- You might also want to get a nozzle attached to a hose and work with it. This one gives you a greater level of speed and efficiency than the last one. It also makes your work much less labor-oriented. With this method, you can work up to a medium sized garden/lawn.
However, this method has quite a few drawbacks as well. The main ones of which may be summed up as follows:
- The main problem with the conventional ways are that these methods are more labor intensive than the other ones. One of the main things lazy people such as me try to avoid is working hard, and yet, we want what we want. So, it’s actually not the best idea for people such as me. (However, with people who are fine with working a bit, and have a small-mid sized lawn, this is a good idea.)
- Another major problem about this process is that it’s really time consuming. Time is an important factor everywhere, and since this method actually ends up using a lot of your time, it’s a little hectic. Other methods usually try to save a little more of your time. That is one of the main reasons why people are shifting to newer methods.
- The final problem with this method is that you really can’t use it if you have a large lawn. Small to medium sized lawns can only be watered using this system.
2. The Irrigation system Method
A lot of people actually have been recommending the irrigation system lately. It is true that this system actually makes the whole process a lot more easier. All you have to do is set it up and give it a timer, and it will do the job all by itself. And the best part is that you can easily water large tracts of land without having to move an inch!
However, naturally, nothing can be all bliss. And this method, although great for lazy people like me, is actually a little more expensive. It costs quite a bit to install the overall system, and it actually costs a little since you have to make tunnels underground, and also because you need to opt for maintenance every year.
So, if you’re willing to pay a little extra, then this method might just be a great choice for you. However, if you are on a comparatively conservative budget, you might just want to stick to the manual method, because it’s actually substantially easier.
3. Drip Irrigation Method
Again, you might also want to use the drip irrigation method. In this system, a network of channels and pipes are connected to droppers near the root of every plant. This directly puts water, drop by drop, on the root of the plant, when you run water through the pipes.
This method is used where the water resources are limited, because it causes minimum wastage. However, it’s also good for the plant at times, especially because it doesn’t get the leaves wet and bacteria/fungi can’t work on them.
However, this process is also not really suitable for large lawns. While you can easily use it on small gardens or places where the plants are close, it’s just that. You can’t use it when it comes to a large lawn, because it needs a lot of setup to work properly, and that would just make it more expensive at the end.
So, if that sounds nice to you, you might want to actually use this method. Though not really commonly found in places with abundant water supplies, it sure is one of the methods worth mentioning and considering!
Why do different methods exist?
A few methods do exist when it comes to distributing water, even without sprinklers. However, there are a few reasons as to why different methods exist, the two most important ones of which are as follows:
- First, the main objective is to actually water your plants properly. As I said earlier, there are a lot of things that have to be taken into consideration. These considerations range all the way from the nature of the land, soil up to the nature of the plant and the overall condition of the lawn! So, keeping all of these factors in mind, a few different methods of supplying water have come up. Of course, choosing the right one is essential!
- Secondly, another major objective is conserving water. As you must already be aware, using excess water is harmful. Frankly, it’s harmful not only for the plant, but for the whole world. As you might be aware, our water resources are limited, and so using them wisely is always a great choice!
Why are we so much fussing about the watering ways? It has got only one answer, and that is – we want to conserve water in the best. So no matter what technique you are adopting, it must be effective for the plants and also best in water conservation.
In conclusion, it can be said that there are a few methods out there for providing water without sprinkler systems. We have mentioned the principal ones in this article, and we have also discussed some other things. For example, we discussed what you might want to keep your mind before opting for a method. Again, we also decided what you might want to expect when it comes to each method.
It is really hoped that the information would help you choose the method that is the best one for you. While choosing that, keep in mind that the best method is not the most expensive one. The best method is the one that serves your purpose with the greatest efficiency and the most easily, and sometimes the most affordably as well!
The only way, then, to select the best method, is to actually judge them all for yourself. You need to judge them based on the exact situation you have, in order to find out what would be the best choice on your part. So, don’t forget to do that, and you will surely find the best method for yourself with ease!
Best Lawn Sprinkler is always right here for you!
You have finally reached the end of the article- thank you so much for reading it till the very end! We are really happy to see that you’re still here, and we hope that you learned at least something new from this article. Hopefully, you would also be able to apply that in getting the perfect lawn of your dreams!
We understand that you might have a few questions for us by now. Also, we encourage you to get to us should you have any queries for us without any sort of hesitation! We are always here for you, and we try our best to help you out with any information you might need.
Until we’re back, we here at Best Lawn Sprinkler wish you a great day! Till then, you might want to check out our other articles, here are a few to get started with: