You know, getting a soaker hose is a really smart move in the long run for your lawn! However, that being said, there’s not only one kind of Soaker hose! There are two main kinds of soaker hoses: flat soaker hose vs round soaker hose.
As such, it becomes really important for you to know more about each of these before you decide. Because, the one you settle one should be the one that’s right for your specific case. For that, it’s important to know each of these actually work. It’s also important to actually analyze the features of each of them and to compare them to your needs. After all, that’s the only way you can actually find out which one is the best choice for you!
In today’s article here at Best Lawn Sprinkler, we are going to take a look at this. We’re going to find out the main differences between Flat Soaker Hose vs Round Soaker Hose. We really hope that you will find this article useful, and expect that you would take your time to read this article till the very end. So, are you ready to get started?
What is a soaker hose, to begin with?
The first thing that you must know to continue with this article is what a soaker hose is really is. Before discussing the features of each kinds of soaker hose, we must first know what it really is.
So, a soaker hose is a special type of hose that lets water out in drops along its entire length. How does this happen, you wonder? Well, what basically happens is that a soaker hose is specifically made of special porous material. Now, when the pressure of the water inside it increases, the water comes out in drops.
Naturally, at this point, a lot of people think it is similar to Drip Sprinkler Irrigation. However, these two actually have quite a few differences. If you want to know more about these, you might want to read our article on these. Please click here to read our article on Soaker Hose VS Drip Sprinkler Irrigation.
Also, as you might guess, a soaker hose also has its own fair share of problems. Now, some of these can easily be fixed by you if you know the reason behind this. Otherwise, you might have to call around the experts to check it out and fix it. To know more about such problems, and how you might want to fix them, please click here.
What is a Flat Soaker Hose? What are the features?
Are you looking to water a specific spot or side? Actually want to direct the water to its location without the risk of your soaker hose rolling away? Then the Flat Soaker hose is actually the best choice out there for you!
The Flat Soaker Hose, made of nyloan-coated mesh material, is by far one of the best choices if you want a stationary and effective Soaker. It is also a great option in the sense that it can easily snake around existing foilage/plants in your lawn! The main features of the Flat Soaker hose might be summed up as follows:
- The Flat Soaker hose is equipped with only one-sided holes, which directs the water just where you want, straight to the soil!
- Next, the hose is naturally flat, which makes it easy to bury it under a little mulch. Keep in mind, however, that burying it too deep might also have adverse effects.
- Again, since it is naturally flat, it cannot roll out of its place, which makes it much more stationary. If you’re like me, you don’t want to be there all the tine keeping an eye on your hose. This one is a good choice in such cases because it’s going to stay where you leave it.
- Also, the flat shape makes it easier for you to snake it around other things in the lawn. This makes this hose a great choice for you if your lawn has other plants, or things that might come between the watering location and the faucet.
Quoting SFGATE on the features of flat soaker hoses,
A flat soaker hose has holes on only one side, so the water goes exactly where you want it to: down into the ground. It can’t roll out of alignment when on the ground the way round hoses can. This hose’s naturally flat shape makes it suitable for burying under up to 3 inches of mulch; burying it in soil is not recommended as the weight of the soil may weigh the hose down a bit too much. The flat shape also makes it simple to snake under existing plant growth. These are often made of a nylon-coated mesh material.
What is a Round Hose? What are the features?
Next in line is the Round hose, the one that is actually pretty useful if you want a ‘real’ soaker hose. As I remarked earlier, a round soaker hoses has tiny holes across its entire length, which makes the water droplets fall all along its length.
These hodes are made specially out of rubber and vinyl, and can easily be burring under a little soil! In fact, these hoses are harder to damage in general in comparison to flat hoses! Their round structure actually reinforces them and strengthens them. This also makes them much more durable in the long run!
Anyway, the main features of the Round Hose might be summed up in the following points:
- Firstly, as I just remarked, this hose actually works like a soaker hose should. It has holes/pores along its entire length, which makes water drip along the entire length of the hose.
- Next, as you might have guessed from the last point, the water distribution pattern is different. While the Flat hose waters only side, the Round Hose waters all the spots along its length.
- Next, round hoses are actually a little more mobile naturally, owing to the fact that these can roll around if left alone. However, they do not generally roll away, from what I’ve seen, so that’s really not much of a concern.
- Again, the Round hoses are actually much more durable. They can afford to be buried under a little soil without being damaged. Actually, their round shape makes them much more resistant to damage and thus much more durable in the long run!
Quoting SFGATE on the features of Round Soaker Hoses,
A round soaker hose is sometimes called a “weeping” hose, as it has tiny holes all around for water distribution. It also can be buried under mulch or even a bit of soil. Round soaker hoses are typically made of rubber or vinyl, and some models are more durable than flat soaker hoses.
Differences Between flat soaker hose vs round soaker hose:
As you can see, the flat soaker hose vs round soaker hose tug-of-war is going on. There are several things that set these two apart, but who do you think is going to prove itself better? Well, it isn’t too hard to find that out if only we take a look at the main features of each of them.
So, let us take a look at what each of these exactly offer and how they differ from one another.
The main differences between the two might be summed up in the following points:
- Number of Holes: The Flat Soaker hose has only one-sided holes, while the round soaker hose boasts of practically infinite small holes all across its length. It’s made from specific material to ensure this level of porosity, and that’s part of it’s identity. Honestly, what we call the soaker hose is mostly the round soaker hose.
- Water Distribution: Naturally, the flat soaker hose with one hole could only water one specific desired spot/side. However, the round soaker hose with a lot of small holes was not so. It would let water drop along its entire length. Thus, we can easily see that the water distribution pattern was quite different between the two of them.
- Burying them: You might face a situation where you have to bury your hose under mulch or soil. In a case like this, the flat soaker hose cannot be buried too much without hampering the flow of water. However, the round ones can be buried a lot more, making them a better choice in a case like that.
- Snaking the hose: Snaking the hose might be essential if there’s something between the faucet and the desired location of watering. It has been seen that the flat soaker hoses are much better if you have this need.
- Durability: The durability was undeniably higher when it came to the round soaker hoses. While both of them can be fairly durable, the round ones have been found to outlive the flat ones.
- Cost: None of the hoses cost too much, and they actually cost fairly the same. However, as the last point states, the round soaker hoses can be a little more durable. This means that it actually pays for itself a little bit better. If you’re only looking for the economic aspect, the round soaker hose might be the best choice for you.
Quoting an answer from Houzz,
Round takes tighter curves better but otherwise, they are pretty comparable. If exposed to sunlight – laid on top of the soil – the recycled rubber hoses last about 3 years. If covered in mulch, maybe a couple of years longer.
You shouldn’t be able to see water spreading very far from the hose on the soil surface – just a few inches, if that. The soaker should just sweat water……no discernible drops or any spray. It is how the water spreads under the soil surface that is of importance and that can be significant depending on your soil structure.
Which one should I go for?
The flat soaker hose vs round soaker hose dilemma is pretty hard to solve. However, it becomes much easier if only you keep a select few things in mind, and we here at Best Lawn Sprinkler are going to help you out with that!
While we cannot exactly tell you what to do based on a general situation, the best advice is to know what you actually need. If you keep your needs in mind, it becomes substantially simpler to find what would be right for you. It isn’t too hard to find the right product for yourself if only you know what you’re exactly looking for.
For some people, the Flat soaker hose might be a better choice, because they only want to water a specific side and because it can bend a little more. However, for some people who want the hose to be buried or who just want to water their plants properly and want a durable hose, and are fine with compromising a bit on the flexibility, the round hose is usually a better choice.
So, keep your needs in mind and judge every product accordingly. Also, keep in mind that the best product for you isn’t the one that’s the most sold out there or the most expensive/least expensive one. The best product for you is the one that serves your needs at the most reasonable rate.
We understand here at Best Lawn Sprinkler that it isn’t simple choosing the right soaker hose for your lawn. However, we are here to make things simpler for you by actually showing you the main details you need to know.
Most of the time, doing a research consists of a lot of information that you don’t really need to know. Here at Best Lawn Sprinkler, we try to keep it all relevant and informative, so that you can actually put this knowledge to use!
In today’s article, for example, we began by checking out what a soaker hose is and what its main features are. Then, we went on and discussed the main features of Flat Soaker Hoses and Round Soaker Hoses. Next, we took a look at the differences between each of them. And finally, we took a look at how you might want to choose the one that is right for you.
We really hope that you could find something in the article that you would be able to put into use in real. We really try our best to help you out with the best information out there. And honestly, we would consider ourselves successful if only you can implement these ideas in your lawn and get great results! So, if that happens, don’t forget to let us know!
Best Lawn Sprinkler is here for you!
Finally, we have reached the end of today’s article. We really hope that you could learn at least something new from this article. Hopefully, you would be able to implement these ideas in real and actually make your lawn even more beautiful!
We thank you from the core of our heart to take your time to read this article till the very end. We understand, however, that you might still have a few questions for us. Please know that Best Lawn Sprinkler is always here and is always prepared to serve you. So, if you have anything which you think we might be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate in reaching out to us! We look forward to hearing from you!
Once again, thank you for reading this article till the very end. If you liked this article, we have a great idea for you! You might actually want to check out our other articles! Here are a few to get you started:
So, we hope to see you again on our next article. Please don’t forget to stick around and check back for our upcoming articles! We look forward to having you back as soon as possible! Till then, Best Lawn Sprinkler takes your leave! See you again soon, dear reader!