Hello and welcome back to Best Lawn Sprinkler. In today’s article, we are going to take a look at an unique topic: How Long to Water Grass Seed With Sprinkler Heads. We know that it is really important to properly water the grass seeds, but we shall learn the precise measurements here.
We’re going to see what are the main reasons why watering properly is important, How Long to Water Grass Seed With Sprinkler Heads, why it’s almost too easy to make a mistake (and how to avoid them), as well as some other things. So, it is really recommended that you read the article till the very end. We hope that you would be able to learn at least something new from this article.
Just why is it so important to water your grass seeds?
As you must be aware, Grass Seeds are just seeds that have not yet germinated. So, they naturally require a little more care than plants that have already grown a bit. The main reasons behind watering them properly are:
- You need to keep the ground moist in order to ensure that the seed can germinate and the shoot of the plant can actually make its way above the ground.
- You need to keep watering the germinating seedling regularly in order to keep it alive. If you don’t give it enough water, it might even die.
- Some seeds, although won’t die, might not germinate if there is not enough moisture. Do not forget that plants are also living beings, and they also have a way of sensing of their own. So, if they don’t think the conditions are optimum for their survival, they might not germinate yet.
When is the best time to water your seeds/plants?
Watering your plants is important- as we already saw, there are a lot of reasons to do it properly. However, one thing I’ve seen a lot of people struggling with is the timing. A day is usually divided into morning, afternoon, evening, and night. So, when of these four times is the ideal for watering your plant?
- Seeds and very young plants/grass usually need water twice a day. In this case, it is recommended that the watering is done in the morning and in the evening, because the temperature is comparatively cooler. This cooler temperature ensures that the water does not evaporate before the plants can take it. Also, in warmer climates, watering in the afternoon heat might damage the roots, so that’s another thing to avoid.
- Older plants and grass usually need a little less water, because they draw some moisture from the soil too. These plants are generally watered once. Experts recommend watering them in the morning, because while the other things are similar in the morning and evening, there are two advantages: Firstly, watering them in the morning ensures that they get the water before they start their activities properly in the afternoon. Secondly, watering the plants in the morning also ensures that the bacteria that work at night can’t damage them.
As AquaFlo Sprinklers puts it,
Next, consider watering your yard early in the morning. This will help the seeds to sprout, and already sprouted seeds will get a good drink in before the afternoon heat comes and evaporates some of the water. Besides that, you’ll make your grass less susceptible to the fungus and bacteria that thrive on wet plants at night.
In conclusion, it might be said that the watering pattern and timing depends on the plant/grass. However, it is generally accepted that morning and evening are the ideal timings to water your plant.
How Long to Water Grass Seed With Sprinkler Heads?
Now, let’s come to the actual question, How Long to Water Grass Seed With Sprinkler Heads? Well, it’s not too easy to answer, honestly, because some things have to be considered, like:
- Rainfall: The amount of rainfall your area receives after sowing the seeds is an important factor. In case of enough or excessive rains, you don’t have to water it at all. However, in case of almost no rains, you might want to water it twice a day in the patterns we mentioned earlier.
- Climate: Another thing that the watering amount depends on is climate. If you’re in a warm place with higher rates of transpiration, you might need to water your plant a little more.
- Type of seed: The specific type of seed you’re using also matters a lot. This is so because specific varieties of plants (and even grasses) need specific amounts of water. While grasses generally need a little less water, it still depends from one kind of grass to another, and that’s something that you must keep in mind.
- What you’re actually planting: You might plant a seed, or a plug or a sod. The watering pattern differs based on what you choose. Generally, seeds require a higher level of water than the other two, but the other factors are no less important.
However, the actual question still remains, How Long to Water Grass Seed With Sprinkler Heads?
Ideally, experts recommend letting the water run for about 10 minutes every watering session. While this might seem a little excess, it is generally essential to keep the upper layer of the soil moist enough to help the plant grow freely.
Some experts, however, are of the opinion that watering it 3 times might be a better idea. Quoting Heritage Lawns,
…we asked Irrigation Professional, Joey Coble, how often we should be watering our lawns, “New seed needs to be watered 3 times a day for the first 3 weeks. This keeps your seeds damp but not submerged. After the 3-week time frame, back it off slowly to once a day. Seed should begin to show between 14 to 21 days after it’s planted.”
Also, take special care not to over-water or underwater, these are really simple to do. In fact, a lot of people who complain about the problems seem to actually make this mistake. Calculating the amount of water properly is actually situation dependent, and if you keep these factors in mind, it should not be too hard. Just be regular with the watering, and water in proper amounts, and it would not cause any problem.
Don’t let the seeds get eroded!
Grass seeds, especially newly sown ones, can easily get eroded. So, it is actually important to keep an eye out for that. One of the best ways is to check soil erosion, and to prevent over-watering.
Naturally, if there is already quite a bit of grass in the area, it won’t be much of a problem. However, if you’re trying to introduce it to an area with no other vegetation, you might want to be a little extra cautious to ensure that all your hard work is not eroded away with the seeds!
Patience is the key!
One thing that you must understand when trying to get the perfect lawn is that it takes time. Even if you’re using a variety that grows quickly and are using plugs, it might still take a while. And it might not be perfect from the very beginning.
How long it will take for your new grass seed to begin to grow really depends on where you live, your climate and what type of grass you plant. It can take anywhere between 3 and 28 days for new grass seed to begin to grow.
But, what you must do is hold on and keep trying your best. If you don’t lose your patience and actually keep watering and nurturing it on time, it won’t be too hard. Someday, you’ll surely be able to get the perfect lawn that you’ve always dreamed of.
Once you have the perfect grass-lawn, you’ll need this!
When you do get the perfect lawn you’ve dreamed of so far, you’ll realize that it sometimes itches when you’re on the grass. There is no need to worry, because this is natural, and there can be several reasons behind it, as well as a few possible solutions.
Wonder what these are? We would recommend that you check out our article on “Why Does Grass Make You Itchy“. We really hope that it would be useful to you- and we really recommend if it you’re trying to grow grass in your lawn.
Best Lawn Sprinkler is here for you!
So, if everything goes well, and if you patiently keep trying your best, you might just have the dream lawn soon! And even so, we’ve also discussed what you might want to take care of after that! Once these things are taken care of, you can finally relax and have fun on your beautiful lawn with your loved ones, the thing you’ve been waiting for all this time!
We really thank you for reading this article till the very end, and hope that you liked it! We also hope that you actually learned at least something new from this article that you would be able to apply. Naturally, you might still have a few questions for us, and we understand that. If you have anything you want to talk to us about, feel free to reach out to us, because we are here for you!
Once again, we thank you for reading this article till the very end, and hope to see you again soon. Till we meet again on our next article, Best Lawn Sprinkler takes your leave!