So far, we’ve learned a lot of things here on Best Lawn Sprinkler. We have learned how we might want to plant our seeds (click here to read our article on that). Again, we have discussed how we might be able to save these seeds from the birds (click here to read our article centering this topic.) In fact, we have also discussed how long we might want to water our grass seeds using sprinkler heads. However, there is still one important question still standing- When to Stop Watering New Grass Seed?
We all know that Newly-planted grass seeds need a whole lot of water. However, there is a limit for that too, since they cannot be simply asking for infinite water. There’s a limit to the amount of water that they need, right? There’s a point after which you would have to stop, and it is really important to know this point.
When to Stop Watering New Grass Seed?
There are several points where you might want to stop watering your grass seeds. This depends on a lot of factors, and we would have to discuss these scenarios one by one. So, we really hope that you would take your time to read the article till the very end. It is imperative that you read all the points properly, since all of these things seriously matter, and you cannot really let any of them slip your mind. So, let’s get started.
When to Stop Watering New Grass Seed- Natural Reasons.
There are two sorts of reasons as to why you might want to stop watering your seeds, Natural and Circumstantial. Natural reasons refer to those reasons which happen naturally, and can happen to everyone. On the other hand, the next kind is case-dependent. So, let us start off with the natural ones, because it is comparatively easier to give a fairly generalized description of these. The main ones are as follows:
- Owing to high-content of ground water: There are specific regions, such as the ones in close proximity to the rivers, where the ground water level remains high. Since it remains so all the year round, if you’re in one of these places, you might not want to water your seeds too much. You might want to water them just a little after planting them, and then monitor them. In a situation like this, watering must be done only when there is actually dearth of water for the plants.
- Because of rainfall: You obviously do not have to water your seeds during rainfall. In fact, some experts recommend not watering at all during the period your region might be experiencing rains. Since the rains might come anytime, and the soil generally remains wet, there is very little reason to water during the rains. So, that’s one of the times you might actually want to stop watering new grass seed.
- After the shoots come out of the soil: Until the shoots come out of the soil, you need to keep the soil wet all the time. After this point, it’s safe to assume that the plant has started to grow. This means, while you still have to continue watering it properly, you would not want to actually overdo it. It is super easy to overwater the plant at this point, and a lot of people end up doing it- but that’s one of the things you really want to avoid as a smart lawn-owner and gardener, because that would be harmful for your lawn.
- Mature Grass = Less Watering: While seeds and really young grass needs a lot of watering, it changes overtime. Older grass actually relies on its root to tap into the water underground. So, unless you actually have a really dry soil, it’s a good idea to stop watering the lawn too much once the grass has fairly grown.
When to Stop Watering New Grass Seed- Circumstantial Reasons.
As I remarked earlier, there are some situations that are entirely case-dependent. These must also be discussed if we want the overall discussion to be comprehensive. After all, a lot of people are aware of the general problems and solutions to them, these are the ones that you actually might need help with- and that’s exactly what Best Lawn Sprinkler is here for!
So, here are some of the main circumstantial reasons that you might want to keep in mind:
- Your seed doesn’t require that much water: It might just so happen that your seed does not require that much of water. There are several varieties of seeds, and each ideally needs a different amount. So, you might want to keep that in mind and stop watering the seed if it is getting enough of it from the soil. If the soil already contains enough water, any extra water would just mean overwatering a healthy plant.
- Signs of overwatering: Again, if you have been overwatering your plant, it will show. While this is not exactly applicable to seeds, it is applicable as soon as the shoots start to come out. So, if you sprinkled the seeds on the soil, this might be indirectly applicable to the seeds as well. So, you might want to do your research and keep an eye out on any signs of overwatering. If you see any, that’s a great reason to stop.
Even when the grass is ready, keep an eye out!
Finally, let’s assume that you did everything properly and have a lush green lawn now. That is really awesome, and you can actually have fun on your lawn with your loved ones. But, while doing so, have you noticed that the grass sometimes makes you feel itchy?
Did you ever wonder why the grass makes you feel itchy? If you did, you might want to check out our article on “Why Does Grass Make You Itchy“. In this article, we have explained all the reasons why you might feel itchy because of the grass. We have also explained the things you need to watch out for, and how you might be able to avoid itchiness overall.
The most important thing, Vigilance.
Everything in your lawn will run its natural course- both positive and negative. And your responsibility, as a smart lawn-owner, is to actually weed out the bad parts of it. This is not as hard as it seems, because it only demands one thing from you, vigilance.
We understand that you are trying and working really hard. Would you want all that work to go to waste? Of course you’d not- and we don’t either. And the best way to ensure that it it isn’t wasted is to keep a proper eye on your lawn. You need to learn to understand when there’s a sign of unhealthiness, and you need to find out why.
Don’t worry though, you always have Best Lawn Sprinkler with you. You can always take a look at our articles, and 9 out of 10 times, you’d surely find something worthwhile!
To sum it all up, there are specific situations when you might want to stop watering your new grass seed. There are certain natural conditions, which are pretty generalized. Every lawn owner has to face such situations every once in a while. Experience, however, has shown that it is actually a better idea to not water your lawn in these situations. Again, there are some specific situations too, some of which we took the time to discuss in this article. These are also situations that you need to be on the lookout for if you want to keep your lawn healthy.
These are the reasons that you might want to keep in mind. By doing so, you’ll be able to understand when it’s actually time to stop watering your grass seeds.
Newly sown grass seeds need a lot more water than an already established lush lawn. Even so, the lush lawns also does require water from time to time to remain in tip-top shape, and to remain the favorite spot for your friends and family. However, while you might never be able to stop watering your lawn entirely, you can reduce it to a great extent by being more careful, and planning in advance.
Best Lawn Sprinkler is here for you!
We are really grateful that you took your time to read this article till the very end. We really hope that you could learn of something new that you would be able to apply in your lawn. And, we also hope that you would finally be able to get the perfect lawn that you’ve been dreaming of. Work hard without losing sight of your dreams, and you will surely achieve it!
We understand that you might still want to ask us a few questions- and we look forward to that. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any queries, we are always eager to hear from you. We are always on the lookout for opportunities to help you with the best information we can! So, please do hesitate in reaching out to us if there’s anything at all that you want to discuss with us.
Once again, we thank you for reading this article till the very end. Until we’re back, we here at Best Lawn Sprinkler wish you a great day! Till then, you might want to check out our other articles, here are a few to get started with: